St Paul’s Chapel attracts thousands of tourists and visitors annually in New York City’s Lower Manhattan area.
St. Paul’s Chapel, is an Episcopal chapel located on Broadway, between Fulton and Vesey Streets. It is the oldest surviving church building in Manhattan.
George Washington, along with members of the United States Congress, worshipped at St. Paul’s Chapel on his Inauguration Day, on April 30, 1789.
The chapel contains several monuments and memorials including George Washington’s original pew and a Neo-Baroque sculpture called “Glory” designed by Pierre L’Enfant, who designed Washington, D.C.
The rear of St. Paul’s Chapel faces the east side of the World Trade Center site. After the attack on September 11, 2001, which led to the collapse of the twin towers of the World Trade Center, St. Paul’s Chapel served as a place of rest and refuge for recovery workers at the WTC site.
For eight months, hundreds of volunteers worked 12 hour shifts around the clock, serving meals, making beds, counseling and praying with fire fighters, construction workers, police and others.
“Healing Hearts and Minds”, an exhibit inside the chapel, consisting of a red chasuble covered with police and firefighter patches sent from all over the world. A British Bobby’s helmet is on top.
The church survived without even a broken window. Church history declares it was spared by a miracle sycamore on the northwest corner of the property that was hit by debris. The tree’s root has been preserved in a bronze memorial by sculptor Steve Tobin. While the church’s organ was badly damaged by smoke and dirt, the organ has been refurbished and is in use again.
Check out “Know Before You Go To New York: Travel Tips From A Licensed New York City Tour Guide:”
The Blue Guide New York provides lots more about fun places to visit in New York City. Click on