Views:233|Rating:5.00|View Time:6:56Minutes|Likes:31|Dislikes:0 Right across the street from Universal Studios, Hollywood, a preserved historic site explains how California became part of the United States. See it at:
Right down the hill from Universal Studios, Hollywood is a preserved historic site that is probably one of the most important sites for California and the United States. Campo de Cahuenga was an adobe ranch house where the Treaty of Cahuenga (also known as “The Capitulation of Cahuenga”) was signed between Lieutenant Colonel John C. Fremont and General Andrés Pico on January 13, 1847, ending the fighting in the Mexican American War.
The subsequent Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo of 1848 signed in Mexico, ceding California, parts of Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, and Arizona to the United States, formally ended the Mexican-American War. Texas had already seceded from Mexico in 1836, and joined the union in 1845.
What is pretty fascinating is that the treaty was initiated by a remarkable woman. Dona Maria Bernarda Ruiz Rodriguez who was concerned for lives of her four sons in the war was initially given a 10 minute meeting with Fremont which lasted for hours. Maria probably appealed to his ambitions of furthering a political career if he had the support of the Californios. After the treaty was signed she retired to Santa Barbara and lived a quiet life and passed away in 1880. The original adobe structure was demolished in 1900.
Views:227|Rating:5.00|View Time:8:50Minutes|Likes:4|Dislikes:0 Buddy Gist (The Best Friend of Miles Davis) sharing his experiences in the only motel African Americans could stay in during Jim Crow Era and the personal stories of our famous guests that stayed with us.
Views:550|Rating:5.00|View Time:6:24Minutes|Likes:1|Dislikes:0 ”There are stars, in the Southern sky, southward as you go. There is moonlight and moss in the trees, down the Seven Bridges Road”. If that sounds like a place you want to live, you can have it. Located across from Huntingdon College and steps from the Cloverdale hotspots, this is your chance to own part of Montgomery and Rock & Roll history. Woodley Rd, was the inspiration for the late Steve Young’s song made famous by the Eagles. Originally built in 1900, you will be taken back in time when reach the deep, covered porch, pass through the leaded glass front door, and onto the more than a 100 year old original wood floors of this one of a kind home. Maybe you will feel a connection to the soldiers who garrisoned here during WWI (F. Scott Fitzgerald’s pal’s perhaps?).Take a book, one of Zelda’s, from the built-in bookshelves to read by the marble fireplace with its gorgeously carved imported mantle. A beautiful set of French doors open to a private office with its own fireplace. The dining room, living room and den area are very grand for hosting a cocktail party. There are 4 bedrooms in all, including a guest bedroom with its own full bath downstairs. The kitchen is outfitted with stainless appliances, a gas fireplace, and a casual dining area. Gorgeous stained glass windows adorn the staircase. Upstairs there are two master bedrooms. Both have fireplaces, but one features a sitting room with a balcony. Outside there is a pool with a security fence and an alarm if you have young children, which are easily removed if not needed (the gate and alarm, not the children). The garage has an extra area currently used as a gym and includes a sauna. There is surround sound inside and out, including the covered patio (with tv too), so music or the game of your choice can be heard all around. As the Eagles have so often sung, “There are stars in the southern sky. And if ever you decide you should go, there is a taste of time sweet and honey, down the Seven Bridges Road.” For more details, call/text Team Jernigan, 334-799-0620 or 334-235-1804, Keller Williams Realty.
Views:184|Rating:5.00|View Time:10:43Minutes|Likes:1|Dislikes:0 Focusing on WW1 Irish soldiers from rural towns and so many of those lost in the fighting, this short film focuses on time – from a second to a century. On that last day of combat, amidst intense shelling from both sides, the seconds ticked until the moment of Armistice 1918, a beginning of peace. In cold, sodden trenches, soldiers looked at their watches, counting the minutes between artillery and assaults, in the hours before it all ended. After four years of vicious fighting, and an estimated death toll of 35,000 soldiers from across Ireland, their thoughts were transfixed with a home finally within reach. The town and village, the beauty of their land in seasons, family, friends, and the church at the centre of local life. At home too, those waiting nervously counted the remaining hours nervously. Prayers were said and hymns were sung for the safe return of these men so close now to peace. Even on that last day, lives would be lost, joining the seemingly endless list of combatants who would never return to the land they loved so dearly. Later heroic stories emerge of Irish Catholic and Protestant padres attending frontline trenches during fighting, regardless of the regiment or religious denomination of soldiers. This story expands with contributions from overseas where Allies endured the same terrible cost of The Great War, bonds which still prevail to this day. This short film recorded on the day of Armistice Centennial November 2018, is a snapshot of those moments past and present, and their great significance to real love and sacrifice.
“We Shall Remember Them”.
Thank you very much to the following folk who made this short film possible:
Remembrance Service -The Parish Churches Of Kilmore & Inch, Crossgar, N Ireland
The congregation and Mr Stephen Kennedy
Remebrance Service – Down Cathedral, Downptrick, N Ireland
Church Of Ireland
Remembrance Monument Ceremony, Downpatrick, N Ireland
Mr Stephen Kennedy
Remembrance Service Killyleagh Presbyterian Church, Killyleagh, N Ireland
The Congregation and Visitors
Remembrance Monument Ceremony and Church Bell Ringing at St Malachi’s, Hillsborough, N Ireland
Remembrance Monument Ceremony, Featherston, New Zealand
Remembrance Bell Ringing, Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, Missouri, USA
The Old Southeast Church in Brewster, NY, USA
Remembrance Bell Ringing, Central United Church, Welland Ontario, Canada.
Church Of Our Lady Of La Ferté-Milon, Hauts-De-France, N France
Remembrance Bell Ringing, St Helens Church, Etwell, England
Bell Ringing The Parish Of St Philp & St James, Holywood N Ireland
The bell ringers, the choir and congregation, Canon Gareth Harron
Poem recital “Death Shall Have No Dominion” by Dylan Thomas
Irish actor Peter Lagrue
Horse by the sea.
‘Cheyenne’ and owner Karina McVeigh
Madonna Kelly, Newfoundland
Denise McClean, N Down, N Ireland
Loraine Watt, Co Antrim, N Ireland
The Old Southeast Church in Brewster, NY
“The OLD SOUTHEAST CHURCH was built in 1793 and is in the Town of Southeast, New York . It was the first property in Putnam County, New York to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The church is most famous for being the home Church to famous blind hymn-writer, Fanny J. Crosby, where she was baptized. Fanny Crosby had a deep respect for Veterans and wrote many poems dedicated to their service.
The Old Southeast Church is owned and maintained by Landmarks Preservation Society of Southeast, a nonprofit membership corporation.
As new president of Landmarks, I wanted our bell to ring proudly on the day the 100th anniversary of the armistice that ended WWI and all Veterans. My father is 95 and is a WWII Navy Veteran and many family members are also Navy, Air-Force and Army Veterans.” – Denise Bassett.
Views:6612|Rating:4.88|View Time:4:30Minutes|Likes:42|Dislikes:1 LCMS President Dr. Matthew Harrison takes us on an impromptu tour of Historic Trinity Lutheran Church after wrapping up the Lutheran Malaria Initiative press conference in Detroit on June 27, 2011.
Views:171|Rating:5.00|View Time:6:39Minutes|Likes:5|Dislikes:0 This is a follow up to my St Thomas NV video. The town that was flooded by Lake Mead for many years. The St Thomas cemetery was moved here while Boulder Dam was completed.
Views:8652|Rating:4.59|View Time:56Minutes|Likes:45|Dislikes:4 A team from the HDP office, consisting of HABS architect Mark Schara, HAER architect Jeremy Mauro, HABS historian Lisa Davidson, and HAER photographer Jet Lowe, traveled to Carlsbad, New Mexico, 29-31 January, to document the historic stairs in Carlsbad Caverns National Park.
Beginning in 1925, the newly-established park undertook the construction of a system of wooden staircasess in order to enable visitor access to the caverns. Within a decade, however, the park had begun the construction of a sequence of paved paths and switchback ramps as a more pedestrian-amenable replacement to the stairs, which were subsequently abandoned and eventually, for the most part, removed. The six flights of stairs documented by the HDP team, located on the east side of Iceberg Rock, are the last surviving portion of the original stair system.
Over the years the high humidity level in the caverns (close to 100%) has fostered the growth of mold on the stairs. The mold has caused the wood members to deteriorate, to the point that the stairs are no longer safe and have been condemned. Following the completion of the HABS documentation project, the stairs will be demolished. The project was sponsored by Carlsbad Caverns National Park.
This fly-through of the Carlsbad Caverns stairs is comprised of multiple individual scan stations using an HDR Pano Photo textured point cloud rendered in Pointools. The fly-through video animation was produced by Jeremy Mauro, HAER Architect.
This video does not contain sound.
The Heritage Documentation Programs administers HABS (Historic American Buildings Survey), the Federal Government’s oldest preservation program, and companion programs HAER (Historic American Engineering Record) and HALS (Historic American Landscapes Survey). Documentation produced through the programs constitutes the nation’s largest archive of historic architectural, engineering, and landscape documentation.
Learn more about HDP by visiting us online at
See more photographs of the HDP documentation of the historic Carlsbad Caverns stairs in our Facebook photo album at
Search the HABS/HAER/HALS Collection in the Library of Congress at
Views:2841|Rating:5.00|View Time:4:24Minutes|Likes:18|Dislikes:0 Preserving and enjoying the tobacco barns that are found along the landscape of Virginia……….It is said that they are like the windmills of Holland……….many were hand crafted from short leaf pine from the early 19th century to the mid 20th century………….Preservation Virginia is offering help in preserving these wonderful and historic structures………..
Views:1653|Rating:5.00|View Time:1:56Minutes|Likes:11|Dislikes:0 This animated fly-through of the Main Hospital Buildings is comprised of data from more than 180 individual laser scan stations, combined and textured with HDR panoramic photograph data. The rendering of more than 1.7 billion data points was done using Pointools point cloud animation software.
During the summer 2014, the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) produced documentation of the historic Ellis Island Hospital complex at Ellis Island, New York. The documentation consisted of measured drawings, large-format photographs and a historical report for the HABS/HAER/HALS Collection in the Library of Congress. HABS utilized a high-definition laser scanner, in addition to hand-drawn field notes, and hand-measuring to obtain information needed to produce existing conditions measured drawings of the hospital. This short animation shows the 3-D point cloud model produced from the laser scanner data.
Ellis Island is an interlocking series of three mostly man-made islands in New York Harbor. It was home to the preeminent U.S. Immigration Station from 1892 to 1954. The original natural island was expanded to become Island 1, which holds the Main Immigration Building and was the primary site of immigration inspection and processing. In the first decade of the 20th century, Islands 2 and 3 were created to house U.S. Public Health Service hospitals. Originally the three islands were only connected via a narrow strip of land or a wood gangway on the northwest, with basins for ferry docking separating the Immigration Station and the hospital complexes. A significant amount of Ellis Island’s land is covered in large-scale buildings, making the buildings themselves one of the primary landscape features.
See photographs of the HABS documentation team working in the Hospital Complex at
View all of the HABS/HAER/HALS documentation of Ellis Island in the Library of Congress at
Learn more about Ellis Island at and the Historic American Building Survey
This video was produced by HABS Architect Paul Davidson and contains no spoken word.
The video is best viewed in HD or at a high resolution setting. To change the viewing setting on YouTube, click on the “gear” icon at the bottom of the viewing window and adjust the resolution to a higher setting.
Views:3256|Rating:4.55|View Time:6:7Minutes|Likes:10|Dislikes:1 After 100 years of serving as a place of worship and community, St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Potsdam, NY, was in need of renovation. “The windows had deteriorated a fair amount,” commented architect Jerry MacNeil of Jerry MacNeil Architects Limited. As specialists in the replacement of historical architectural millwork, his firm was the ideal choice to take on the large Gothic Revival window replacements; partnering with them was Marvin® Signature Services. “We have worked with Marvin for over 16 years, and we’ve found that they’re not afraid to take on projects that others will shy away from doing.”
Welcome Home to this amazing Loft in the Historic Albuquerque High School. Located in the expansive gymnasium space, unit features large north facing windows providing great natural light w/o undesirable solar gain. Large bedroom features built-in shelving for extra storage, full bathroom, and washer/dryer (included). Main living features open concept cook’s kitchen (appliances included), living room w/2-story exposed ceilings, & 2nd full bathroom. Spectacular grounds, indoor & outdoor spaces throughout property. Urban / Downtown living at it’s BEST. HOA covers everything except PNM (electric bill)
Ken Sears, CENTURY 21 UNICA Real Estate
View My Inventory:
Views:494|Rating:5.00|View Time:1:7Minutes|Likes:1|Dislikes:0 Historic visit of Metropolitan Jonah of the Orthodox Church in America to the Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Washington, DC. The first time an OCA bishop or primate has served Divine Liturgy in a local parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR). Recorded January 1, 2012.
This scene shows His Beatitude blessing the congregation from the Ambo while the choir sings “Many Years”.
Video shot on a pocket digital camera set to video mode.
Views:2103|Rating:5.00|View Time:6:27Minutes|Likes:7|Dislikes:0 In this episode of “The Tales of Allen”, Host Craig Erickson takes us into the old Allen Cemetery to pay our respects to our founding families.