A site survey of the haunted graveyard. St Nicholas Church is located in Kenilworth, Warwickshire, England. Built in the 1120s, at the same time nearby Kenilworth Castle was constructed, by Geoffrey de Clinton, a Norman Lord. It was built upon an earlier Saxon settlement called Chinewerde.
In 1124, next to St Nicholas, an abbey was also built on what became renamed as Abbey Fields. Geoffrey de Clinton placed a curse on the land so that no secular power might strip the clergy of their land or property when he said ” Take this land from The Church and be cursed by God. ”
The Abbey itself was raised from Priory to Abbey in 1447 but was eventually dissolved and left a ruin during The Reformation on 15th April 1538. Today it remains a ruin and has done since 1538. The Abbey Field site remains undeveloped and is open to public access. During the 20th Century there were a few attempts to develop the land but all failed. Perhaps the curse of Geoffrey de Clinton still works ? The Abbey has been excavated several times in 1840, 1880, 1922 & 1967.
The current graveyard of St Nicholas holds the ruins of the Abbey within its precincts, thus making it a haunted graveyard, though the Ghost which haunts is from the Abbey.
St Nicholas graveyard is haunted by the Ghost of a monk from the Abbey ruins – one who was in Holy Orders before the Reformation.
He has been called The Wicked Monk or The Faceless Monk due to having no discernible facial features, the inside of his hood being a hollow void. The Wicked Monk is a sinister Ghost, who seems to bear ill will against the living. The haunting seems to cover the spectrum of paranormal experience. Some people walking through the graveyard have experienced the feeling of somebody standing right behind them – only to turn to see nobody there. Other reports claim that people have actually been shoved from behind, have heard sinister whispering behind them – again when they turn to investigate, nobody is there. Other witness reports claim to have been overcome with a sense of dread, or a pressing sense of evil as they pass through the graveyard.
The thoroughfare which connects the graveyard to Bridge Street seems a source of this haunting – with most reported cases naming that path. Though The Wicked Monk has been seen around the ruined Abbey buildings, and drifting amongst the headstones.
Quite why this Ghost is so nasty and spiteful is speculation, as is why he should direct his anger at the living today – when his Abbey was ruined nearly 500 years ago. But this bitter vengeful Ghost seems to have found no peace over the centuries and has been witnessed several times.
On occaision The Wicked Monk has been known to materialise into a visual manifestation – the last recorded sighting of his visual Ghost was last seen in 1997. A dangerous spirit to try and communicate with. Best left alone. The name of The Wicked Monk is not known, nor is the exact time period he lived in. Neither is it known the original reason why he should feel so hateful and violent towards the living. But he does.
In 1858, at the outcome of an approaching storm, The Wicked Monk was seen in the graveyard, standing motionless. Later on a bolt of lightning struck the church and its spire was completely destroyed.
The Wicked Monk of St Nicholas Church