“Countering Our Culture” is a sermon preached at the Mountain Creek church of Christ in Chattanooga, TN. Senseless murders in Colorado, July 20, 2012. James Holmes killed 12 and injured 58
Columbine in 1999
Virginia Tech in 2007
Fort Hood, TX — Nov. 2009
Arizona — Gabrielle Giffords — January 2011
Steve Higginbotham: “If one would leave the Century 16 Movie Theater where the shooting took place, turn North on South Sable Blvd, and drive 2.2 miles (according to Google maps) they would arrive at the Mayfair Women’s Center. Here at this center, they perform 12-25 abortions a day.** But now, here’s my question: Where’s the national outrage about this daily slaughter? Where’s the news coverage? Where are the stories about the senseless murder of innocent lives? Where are the stories discussing the potential these individuals could have contributed to our society? What efforts are being taken to stop the perpetrators of such senseless violence? In both cases, innocent lives have been taken, but one is condoned while the other is condemned. In both cases, the victims were unwilling participants, but one is acceptable while the other is unacceptable. In both cases, the murder is perpetuated by a man, but one is called a “Doctor” while the other is called an evil lunatic.”
I. Satan — You Have An Enemy
A. 1 Peter 5:6-10
1. V. 6 Humble– don’t think you’re bullet proof
2. V. 8 Alert — don’t act like life is easy
3. Roaring lion — hungry and powerful
a. Wants to destroy you
B. Eph 6:11-12 Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
1. Uses many different weapons against us
C. Satan has great effect on world
1. 2 Cor 4:4 the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving
2. John 12:31; 16:11 the ruler of this world
3. Eph 2:2 prince of the power of the air,
4. 1 John 5:19 the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.
II. Worldliness — One of Satan’s greatest tools
A. Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world
1. Must protect your mind
B. Glenn and Cindy Colley book, Your Mama Don’t Dance
1. If someone being shot or stabbed in street, close shades and call police
2. If sexual behavior, keep kids away
3. But same thing comes from inside electronic
4. “Through this window, the average high school senior has seen eighteen thousand murders. Through this window he has witnessed the abuse of alcohol in an acceptable setting tens of thousands of times. He has heard profanities and obscenities when they were shouted and when they were whispered. He has seen the values and the person of his God denigrated and reviled hundreds of times. He has relaxed beside the window for so long that he is no longer shocked at what he sees on the other side.”
C. James 4:2-8
1. Devil makes it easy and profitable
2. Watch TV — fit in w/ everyone — seem normal
3. We’re in a spiritual war
4. 2 Tim 2:4 No soldier in active service entangles himself in the affairs of everyday life, so that he may please the one who enlisted him as a soldier.
A. Prov 14:12 There is a way which seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.
B. Happiness and success is the path of most or normal
1. Phil 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.
C. Matthew 5:3-10
1. Poor in spirit
4. Hunger and thirst for righteousness
6. Pure in heart
8. Persecuted for sake of righteousness