Old St Mary’s is the third oldest Roman Catholic Church in Detroit and the first German Church. It was first built on the present site in 1841 by a parish of German Catholic IMMIGRANTS at a time when the total population of Detroit was not much over 5,000. Not including labor, the original brick church cost a little over $239. The present church, replacing the earlier structure, was constructed in 1884, and styled in Victorian Gothic by Peter Dedericks, a native architect. The beautiful polished columns inside are of solid granite and impossible to replace today. The cornerstone for the First Church, built on the same site as the present site as the present stone, was laid on the feast of Corpus Christi, June 19, 1841.
Ste. Anne de Détroit (Sainte-Anne-de-Détroit), founded July 26, 1701, is the second oldest continuously operating Roman Catholic parish in the United States, established when the area was part of the French colony. The current Gothic Revival cathedral styled church, built in 1886, is located at 1000 Ste. Anne Street in Detroit, Michigan, in the Richard-Hubbard neighborhood, renamed Corktown Shores, near the Ambassador Bridge, and the Michigan Central Station. Historically, the parish community has occupied eight different buildings. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. The main entry to the Church faces a grand tree-lined, brick paved plaza. The present parish is largely Hispanic in population. /