St. Ann Catholic Church Origin-Mamou

St. Ann Catholic Church Origin-Mamou



Views:3926|Rating:0.00|View Time:10:8Minutes|Likes:|Dislikes:
During the early 1900s, Mamou was a mission of Ville Platte, served by priests from Eunice and Ville Platte. During this period, the Eucharist was celebrated in the homes of Simeo (Mayo) Vidrine and Dorsin Aucoin. Between 1910 -1912, the community raised $1,400.00 to build their first church. On November 14, 1913 the Archdiocese of New Orleans appointed Fr. Auguste Viel (born November 28, 1864 in Breton, France) as the First Pastor of the soon to be erected Parish of St. Ann’s in Mamou. (Note: the Diocese of Lafayette was not established until January 11, 1918. Consequently, Archdiocese of New Orleans extended from the Mississippi State line to the Texas State Line along the southern tier of Louisiana. Mamou was still under the pastoral care of the Archdiocese of New Orleans at the time. The only other Diocese established in Louisiana prior to 1918 was the Diocese of Natchitoches established July 29, 1853. On August 6, 1910, Alexandria replaced Natchitoches as the Cathedral City of that Diocese and became known as the Diocese of Alexandria ). St. Anns became a Church parish on January 15, 1914. St. Ann was chosen as the name for the Church parish by Fr. Auguste Viel. Church was built on the site where present church is located. In 1915 the Rectory, Church office and pastor’s residence were erected. In 1924, a new Church was built. In 1928, Fr. Viel was transferred as Pastor of St. Ann’s (Mamou) to serve as Pastor of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (Church Point, LA.). Fr. Fidele Chiasson replaced Fr. Viel. That same year, the church was completely destroyed by fire, possibly caused by lightning. Only the statue of the Blessed Mother was saved. That same statue is now stands on the north side (right side) of the Altar. Following the fire, the Eucharist was celebrated in the original 1914 Church. In January 1936, another fire burned the original 1914 church and the rectory, possibly caused by sparks from the rectory fireplace. Again, the Blessed Mother’s Statue was saved. That same year, a new Church was built. Then, in 1943, Fr. J. Albert LeBlanc became Pastor (after serving as Assistant in Franklin, Louisiana for 5 years). He was 32 years old when he became Pastor. In 1955, the present brick church was completed. On July 26 ,1955, the Feast of St. Ann, the eucharist was celebrated in the new church for the first time. Later, on June 3, 1956, St. Anns Church was dedicated. Father Bryce Sibley is our current pastor ( 8-2-09 )

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *